Many apartment toilets are bland and generally small. Installing a bidet seat to your small apartment bathroom will transform not only your bathroom but also your bathroom experience.
These simple yet life-changing fixtures add an air of sophistication to even the blandest and tiniest apartment bathrooms
Bidet seats give you the luxury of a bidet without the headache of making substantive changes to your apartment. If you live in a rental apartment, you may be limited on the extent of modifications you can do to your house.
Installing a freestanding bidet would require making structural changes to the apartment, which may not be an option for your rental.
Most landlords and property owners are very particular about renters installing, or uninstalling stuff in their property. But don’t let this stand between you and a sparkling clean underside as there are incredible bidet seat and attachment options for apartments with small toilets.
Can You Install a Bidet Seat in A Rental Apartment?
Yes. Seek the approval of your apartment owner as indicated in your lease agreement. Most landlords have no issue with renters installing a bidet seat provided they don’t have to dig into their pockets. In most instances, landlords will only require that you uninstall the bidet seat when moving out.
Do You Need a Plumber or Plumbing Experience to Install a Bidet Toilet Seat
No. You do not need a plumber or plumbing experience to install a bidet seat. These simple fixtures are easy to install and remove as they attach directly to your existing toilet
Additionally, bidet seat manufacturers include comprehensive installation guides in every purchase kit.
Best Bidet Seat for Small Apartment Bathrooms
Many apartment toilets are so tiny and crammed that handling your business can be distressing. But with the addition of a bidet toilet seat or attachment, visiting your tiny apartment bathroom can feel like a luxurious trip for your undercarriage.
Remote-controlled bidet seats are the ultimate solution for tiny bathrooms as they don’t need much extra space, compared to panel-operated ones. The remote control regulates aspects like water pressure and temperature (for electric models) to get the spray right for you.
A mountable remote holder ensures you don’t misplace the remote once your tushie is clean.
However, if you’re still worried about losing your wireless bidet seat remote, we’ve found that mounting it to the wall also works perfectly. This is particularly helpful if you have kids.
Ultimately, the amount of clearing around your toilet will determine the right type of bidet toilet seat for you. Simply check the clearance between the sides of your toilet and any obstruction such as the wall or a cabinet.
Here are the top-rated bidet toilet seats that can fit perfectly on your small apartment toilet:
Best Non-Electric Bidet Seats for Small Toilets
1. Top Choice. Brondell Swash Ecoseat
Brondell has remained one of the top-rated brands in the bidet industry. This bidet seat has a sleekly contoured lid that rests close to the seat and can hold the weight of an average adult.
A winning feature of this bidet seat is its quieter wash function compared to most other bidets.
- Has options for round and elongated style toilets.
- Dual nozzle for both posterior and feminine wash.
- Optional heated water connection without electricity. This model includes an 81” hot water tubing that you can connect to a heated water faucet close to your toilet.
- Small control knobs on either side of the toilet that don’t need much clearing.
- Simple operation, one turn the knob gives a posterior or feminine wash, and or heated or ambient water temperature.
- Thin, elegant profile
- Nozzles push back into the hinge rather than hanging into the toilet bowl.
- Soft closing lid
- The spray jets are stationary.
2. Best Value Seat: Samodra SMD-Bidet Seat-XLE-SD-S001
Packs quite a punch with its refined design and features that are typically found in luxury bidet seats.
- Self-cleaning nozzles.
- Brass valves
- Adjustable water pressure.
- Soft closing seat and lid.
- Simple installation, no need to remove the toilet valve first.
- Controls are attached to the seat.
- No water temperature control option.
- Elongated seat style only.
3. Best Budget: American Standard AquaWash 5900A05G.020
American Standard is a household name in the bathroom industry.
This bidet seat is guaranteed to fit the standard toilet in your apartment. It is simple to install and clean and features a modern design despite its inexpensive pricing.
- “Telescoping” lid design conceals the ring.
- Dual, self-cleaning nozzles for posterior and feminine washes.
- Detachable nozzles for more precision.
- Adjustable pressure and spray pattern.
- Soft closing lid and seat.
- Easy cleaning with single-button lift-off feature.
- Generally fits conventional toilets.
- Attachable for elongated seats only.
Best Electric Bidet Seats for Small Toilets
As we’ve already established, you should consider your toilet’s proximity to an electric outlet before picking an electric bidet seat.
Here are our top picks if your apartment toilet is fitted with a nearby electric outlet.
1. Top Choice. BidetMate 2000 Series
One user dubbed this “the Lamborghini of bidets,” and for good reason as this smart fixture is chockful of advanced features. This bidet seat comes in two variants; a side panel-operated option and a remote-controlled option.
Whichever option you pick, your undercarriage still gets the premium service.
- Heated dryer
- An unlimited spray of heated water.
- Adjustable nozzles
- Night light
- Child setting
- Heated seat
- Relatively pricey
2. Best Value Electric Bidet Seat. Alpha iX Hybrid Bidet Toilet Seat
This seat fits perfectly on a small apartment toilet as it is remote-operated. It uses hybrid heating technology to provide a constant supply of heated water.
- Available in round and elongated sizes.
- LED night light.
- Heated seat
- Engaged seat sensor.
- Can fit on some one-piece toilets, provided the design isn’t French curve.
- Adjustable self-cleaning nozzles with pulse mode options.
- Warm air dryer with options for temperature regulation. People unable to wipe physically owing to limited mobility will benefit immensely from this dryer option.
- 3 wash modes: normal rear wash, gentle feminine wash, and an extra “rear+” wash option with a finer stream.
- Gentle child mode cleaning and dryer options.
- Remote-controlled option for a triple nozzle self-cleaning and an additional option for manual brushing.
- Curved design could make the seat cover stand at an awkward 90-degree angle when rested against the toilet tank. Bonus Tip: We’ve found that mounting the seat a tad further forward solves this issue without impairing its functioning.
3. Best Luxury. Bio Bidet BB-2000 Bliss Bidet Seat
This bidet seat seats comfortably on the standard toilet, instantly adding an aura of luxury to your toilet. Part of Bio Bidet’s Luxury Bliss Series, this bidet seat has a sleek and modern design.
- Available in round and elongated styles.
- Low-profile design with modest curves that blend seamlessly with most toilets.
- Narrow water supply line.
- LED night light
- Remote control and wall mount with a backup control panel fitted on the side.
- Choice of black or white color remote control.
- Internal pump for a powerful spray pressure.
- Can handle heavy users (up to 420lbs).
- Uses hybrid heating technology for an instant and continuous supply of heated water.
- 3 cleaning modes: standard rear, feminine, and vortex enema.
- Self-cleaning mode for inside and outside the nozzle.
- Additional 20-seconds rapid self-cleaning mode that uses CleanSurge technology.
- Single nozzle
- Relatively pricey
Best Non-Electric Bidet Attachment for the Money: Bio Bidet SlimEdge Bidet Attachment
As the name suggests, this bidet seat attachment has a slim profile that seats inconspicuously on the toilet.
- Dual spray heads, for posterior and feminine washes.
- Multiple spray force levels.
- Inexpensive yet of great quality.
- Adjustable water pressure.
- Panel placed away from the seat, so might be troublesome if your toilet has little spacing on the right.
- Stationary nozzles that do not self-clean.
Best Value Attachment: LUXE Bidet Neo 185 Bidet Attachment
This attachment features self-cleaning nozzles. When in use, water washes over the nozzles and cleans them out before they can clean you out.
- Dual spray nozzles, for posterior and feminine washes.
- Self-cleaning nozzles.
- Adjustable water pressure.
- Sanitary, as nozzle automatically retracts back under the guard gate after each wash.
- Only cold water option.
- Panel is placed away from the toilet seat.
Things to Consider Before Purchasing a Bidet Seat for Your Small Apartment Toilet
Careful consideration is needed when picking the best bidet seat for your apartment toilet. We’ve done the groundwork and came up with the following list of factors to consider before picking your new throne.
1. Is your toilet bowl round or elongated?
Your apartment toilet is either round or elongated. The type of bidet seat you pick will be determined by the shape of your toilet seat. You can guesstimate the shape; for instance, if your toilet seat is more coin-shaped, then you have a round toilet. However, if your toilet looks more like an egg, then you have an elongated toilet.
If you want more precision, use your measuring tape and measure from the installation holes to the front rim. Standard American toilet seats are 16.5″ to 17.55″ for round seats and 18″ to 19.5″ for elongated seats. Any bidet toilet seat will fit any toilet bowl provided they are standard round or elongated.
2. How much space do you have, and is it on the right or left?
Bidet seats aren’t much bigger than your toilet seat, but they could still add inches to your toilet, especially if you pick a panel-operated one.
As such, it is best to consider whether your toilet has enough room as it could be too close to the wall or a cabinet.
Additionally, you should consider the spacing on the right side of your toilet if you’re a rightie, and on the left side if you’re a leftie.
Most panel-operated bidets have attachments on the right side. But don’t fret if you’re a leftie as there are amazing lefthand-operated attachments for your needs.
3. Should you pick an electric or non-electric bidet attachment?
A warm bidet toilet seat is a treasure, especially on cold days. Having warm water spray-cleaning your undercarriage before a pleasant gust of warm air dries you off will have you enjoying all your trips to the bathroom.
But for this, you’ll need to attach your bidet to an electric outlet. Overlooking this aspect may have you stuck with a cold-only option for a bidet capable of spraying warm air to your undercarriage.
Before clicking the “buy-now” button, check around your bathroom. Electric bidet seats require an electric outlet close to the toilet as the dryer, seat, and water heater fitted in electric bidets require electricity.
Pro Tip: You could plug in an adapter from your main bathroom outlet.
Also, check if you have a shut-off valve close to your toilet. For most apartments, the shut-off valve is fitted with a cold water line.
Bonus Tip: You could connect the bidet to a heated water system such as a faucet near your toilet.
If your bathroom doesn’t have a power source or water shut-off valve close to the toilet, you could pick a non-electric bidet toilet attachment. You’ll still get all the benefits of an electric seat but without the heat options.
4. Type of Water Heating: Tank, Tankless, or Hybrid
Bidets use the same heating concept as the typical home water heaters, namely tank heater, and tankless heater. Bidet seats with tank heaters keep water in their tanks heated to the set temperature.
The upside to a tank water heater system is you’ll have warm water on cue. The drawback is you’ll only enjoy a warm stream to your bum for a short duration until the heated water in the tank is depleted.
On the other hand, bidets with tankless heaters don’t store water, but rather heat water on cue as it streams during a wash.
As such, a tankless water heater system gives you an endless supply of warm water for however long you decide to clean your undercarriage. However, watch out for the initial stream of cold water before the heating system kicks in.
Bidet manufacturers are continually reinventing the wheel, and have come up with a hybrid water heating system.
This system is a gracious medium between tank and tankless water heating systems. It provides instant water heating using a modest water tank.
Bonus Tip: If you’re looking for a slim or more low-profile bidet seat, we would advise going for one with a tankless or hybrid heating system.
5. Type of Cleaning You Need: Posterior and Feminine Wash?
Consider picking a bidet seat with a feminine wash option, even if you don’t have females in your apartment. Your guests will love you for it!
Bidets with feminine wash settings deliver a soft wash through a wider spray that leaves the vaginal area sparkling clean without causing irritation.
You could be trying to stop using toilet paper altogether, or maybe the Covid-inspired toilet paper shortage hit you where the sun don’t shine.
Whatever your reason for going paperless, you can never go wrong with adding a bidet seat or bidet attachment to your apartment toilet, no matter how small it is.